[wp-hackers] GSoC 2011

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Mar 31 02:33:46 UTC 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Thomas Van Eyck wrote:
> I don't know the exact best solution. Adding metadata to the posts table isn't I
> think. Perhaps extending the metadata table is. Depends on how much you want to
> keep in the core.

Adding or modifying tables in WordPress is a HUGE consideration with many ramifications.  The only time when that changes gets considered is when all other options are exhausted.

Even if it might be better in the abstract, the weight of making changes and the consideration of plugins and themes that might have used SQL to interact with them means that table changes are a last resort, as it should be.

> And what do you mean to say with post == element_of_content?
> Not that its not true, I don't see how it helps in itself.

Meaning that the wp_posts table is where content goes.  Media is a type of content thus it should go in the wp_posts table.  This is how Drupal works too (they call theirs a "node" table) and so I think this is a design pattern that works best for content management systems.

-Mike