[wp-hackers] Health Index - GSoC 2011

Gaurav Aggarwal gaurav91.2008 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 18:19:52 UTC 2011

Sorry from my side. I read this on some blog about dos and don'ts.

*Abstract
*

*
*

This idea is an extension of "New User Walkthrough". Instead of keeping a
module only for new installation related tasks we could keep it this way. We
will create a *Health Index* for WordPress installation which initially will
be determined by tasks like pick a theme, change your password, edit your
tagline, choose your comment settings, etc. After all this new user tasks
notifications like availability of updates of WordPress , important plug-ins
like Akismet , pending comments , etc will determine Health Index. Hooks can
be created which can be used by other plug-ins to hook into it and add their
own list of things for users to do and their own ongoing site health
info. For example, a forum (like BBPress or SimplePress) might want to have
a user upload an avatar or put unread threads or private messages into the
list, etc. Depending on Health Index user may be send email/sms
notifications like WordPress installation is in Critical Stage, etc.

*Details*

Health Index will be determined by 3 parameter *Hardware
settings*,*internal settings
* and *plug-in settings*.
There will be 3 level of notification *critical, important and general*.

*Hardware settings* ( Only they can have critical notifications)

   - Minimum required PHP version
   - MySQL version
   - Cron and Apache settings (this may be used by plug-ins in need of
   specific setting)
   - Mail server setting (smtp etc)

*Internal settings*

   - All "New User Walkthrough" tasks.
   - pending comments
   - clearing spam/ trash
   - updates for WordPress / Plug-ins
   - Installation for recommended tasks like spams (e.g Akismet), seo ( e.g
   Headspace), sitemap (e.g Google xml sitemap), Visitor tracking, Feed, etc

*Plug-in settings* ( This is best of all )

   - Every plug-in will be given a hook for pre-requisite or configuration
   required for some plug-ins like wp-super cache , etc to check whether a
   certain setting was made or configured properly before start its
   functioning.
   - A general level notification hook will be provide to all plug-ins. (I
   think we should impose upper limit on number of hooks attempts)
   - Plug-in deletion and file damage procedure

A admin widget will be placed on dashboard in wp-admin section displaying
all important things like notifications by priority and Health Index over
all taken by minimum of 3.

A admin page can also be created which will give user ability to change some
settings like *plug-in settings* can be made suppressible. Notifications can
be disabled for some settings. If WordPress.org have a SMS gateway that can
be used for SMS notification else free gateways like www.zeepmobile.com

could be implemented along with email.

This is my idea. What do you think , is it good enough for a GSoC project ??

Any comments could be helpful.