[wp-hackers] Image Permalinks (GSOC Project)

Marko Novaković atisha34 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 14:55:08 UTC 2011

I am graduate student and I want to contribute via Google Summer of Code.

This is one of my ideas:

Abstract

Image permalinks is an idea for extension of the following permalinks
functionality of WordPress. The current directory structure for WordPress
images is /wp-content/year/month/imagename.ext. This URL structure is not
SEO friendly for Image search on the most valuable search engines, such as
Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. When we attach images, these URLs appear in src
attribute of a tag. If we want to make our posts more SEO friendly for image
search and give more traffic from image search, these images should be
rewriten with other directory structure, such as /images/tag/imagename.ext
or /images/category/imagename.ext. I think that would be better to do in the
core of WP than in a plugin. The implementation consists of checking option
"Image Rewriting" in Settings->Permalinks and when some image is attached to
post to extend the wizard for attaching images with choosing keyword and
structure for rewritten URL. I plan to use the class WP_Rewrite and
modifications of $form_fields in /wp-admin/includes/media.php.

Best Regards,
Marko