[wp-hackers] Plugin Licensing

Piyush Mishra me at piyushmishra.com
Tue Mar 15 04:24:36 UTC 2011

After the last email from me on this thread. I exchanged a few mails with
people at gravity forms.
Carl gave this link to me http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html and I
was amazed but at least corrected. I did read the GPL before posting here
but misunderstood it.
Its not legally binding on anyone to release the source code and as in
Gravity Forms case, they believe that if they hadn't sold the plugin and
gave it away for free, the plugin would have ceased to exist.
I am sorry for the fuss I created because of my misunderstanding.
All the folks who came up to explain and have been patient with all this,
thanks a lot!

Things I learnt as a summary to whoever searches the archive
There are two ways to making a licensed plugin.

   1. SaaS and
   2. Registering its css and images / icons under a separate license.

People can decide not to give away the source code of their plugins for
free(price) themselves even if they are selling it.
But someone buying from them can put its php code with new css for free.
WordPress is not going to be dual licensed ever

One doubt that I still have is can people sell encrypted plugins? While
selling the plugin code.
Do they need to give the full source code(php) or is that too a matter of
personal decision of the plugin author?
Say someone encrypted a part or whole of their plugin with ioncube and added
a check to their server for some key before the plugin can be
decrypted/decoded and run?