[wp-hackers] Outputting Clean Well Indented and Readable X/HTML

Nathan Rice ncrice at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 16:59:55 UTC 2011

A more ideal solution would be to write a plugin to do Dougal said, but pair
that with a caching plugin, so the markup output only needs to be tidied up
once.

But you'd need to check out the WP-Super-Cache plugin to make sure your tidy
script runs before the cache is generated. It might be worth checking out
other caching plugins too.

But, the downside to this is that all those linebreaks and tabs do add up to
a larger filesize when users access your site. You could potentially be
adding 10-20% download times by doing it your way. I'd run Google Page Speed
or YSlow to see what, if any, negative effects having tidy HTML actually
adds, and weight it against the positive effects.

Nathan Rice
WordPress and Web Development
www.nathanrice.net | twitter.com/nathanrice