[wp-hackers] add_magic_quotes() Plans for removal?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Mar 8 09:07:56 UTC 2011

On Mar 8, 2011, at 3:50 AM, Andrew Nacin wrote:
> We didn't invent magic quotes, and we implemented them back when they
> weren't deprecated. Not because we liked them, but because we needed
> standardization. Don't shoot the messenger (or implementer). In hindsight?
> Sure, bad idea implementing it, just as it was a horrible "feature" that
> should never have been written. Anything we can do now? No, not for a long
> time. We're stuck with it.

Just curious on this (and I'm not pushing but instead just exploring an idea.)

What if there were a "supports" field added to the plugin header that allowed a comma-separated list of values the first being "no_magic_quotes."  Then if all active plugins have "supports: no_magic_quotes" then a plugin could turn off magic quotes.

A similar approach could be used for other backward compatibility  issues with an additional supports value.

Mostly I'm wondering if this approach would work and secondarily I'm proposing it for consideration.

-Mike