[wp-hackers] sticky for custom post types

Steve Taylor steve at sltaylor.co.uk
Sat Mar 5 19:45:36 UTC 2011

Thanks for the input everyone. Obviously from the point of realizing
that sticky CPTs weren't part of WP core, I realized I had to roll my
own solution, which I'll be doing. I just wanted to make the point for
sticky CPTs forcefully, because I can see some of the logic behind the
refusal to include them, but I'm not convinced. I also realize that
every developer who has to add extra stuff to their custom theme
because of something apparently lacking in the core is "not convinced"
;)

I'm not convinced because if CPTs were planned as so strictly
non-chronological, why does this return a reverse chronology dataset?

$my_custom_posts = get_posts( 'post_type=custom' );

To my mind, WordPress before CPTs was "posts" or "pages". They are
both "post types". Why should Custom Post Types include features of
one and not the other? Is it because "posts" were always considering a
distinct thing because originally that's all there was? I guess that
WP will always retain something of its original emphasis on blogging -
but it's ironic that it's led, in a roundabout way, to a limitation on
how reverse-chronological content can be managed.

Anyway, I've said my piece... back to getting things working :)

cheers,

Steve