[wp-hackers] Permalink Structure - Performance vs. SEO

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 14:57:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:48 AM, Claude Needham <gxxaxx at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Please try to keep in mind (occasionally at least) that some of us
> WP as a CMS for content that is not time sensitive. And , in fact the
> inclusion of year/month is misleading or confusing. So date is not
> *always* a good thing to make prominent. In these cases post id would
>  be a better fit.

 Very good point. I recently ran some eye-tracking to find out what was
going wrong on a site. The posts on it are not time-sensitive because they
are regularly updated. However, while dates were not used in the URL, the
published date was displayed. A "last modified" date was also displayed. In
the tests, nobody looked at the modified date. Bounce rates off the old, but
recently updated, posts were incredibly high.
For sites like this, using a date anywhere was a mistake.

Lynne