[wp-hackers] Grandchild themes

Lutz Schröer latz at elektroelch.de
Tue Jun 7 11:39:52 UTC 2011

In times of theme frameworks child themes are not actually child themes
anymore but "adult" themes using the framework, there is for example no
actual "Genesis" theme but many, many derived themes.

Unfortunately it's impossible to create a child of them because they
are already child themes themselves. Surely I could simply copy the
whole theme and make changes there but that would contradict the
established best practice of child themes not speaking of theme updating
problems.

I'm aware that WordPress would need to take care of infinite theme
loops, detection of grandparent and grand-grandparent and possible
performance problems but I think it would be a good feature
nevertheless.

latz