[wp-hackers] pulling a massive HTML site into Wordpress

John Black immanence7 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:02:14 UTC 2011

On 6 Jun 2011, at 16:50, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:

>> I see there are some plugins to handle 301 redirects. But these tend to be
>> for a handful of files, not 50,000. Any thoughts on how this would managed?
>>

> I'd be storing a meta of their original file location when inserting them,
> That way you can add a filter later to the 404/canonical handlers to check
> the url against the meta fields to find the old document, and issue the 301.
> Or, you could store the meta, retrieve it later to create a massive redirect
> list, and feed that into .htaccess or similar.

How would you generate the meta? Some of the more recent HTML files have a note of the URL of the file embedded. But a quick check shows that the older files (as I say, the archive goes back to 1998) don't.

I was hoping to do the migration on a localhost install. To get the meta would I have to do the migration on the actual server of this organization?

best,
JB