[wp-hackers] get_terms() & 'term_group'

Jackson Whelan jw at jacksonwhelan.com
Sat Jul 16 19:22:13 UTC 2011

On 7/16/11 1:17 PM, 24/7 wrote:
> I was just looking the Codex [1] article and found 'term_group' as valid
> value for 'order_by'. Now I question how&  where I would set a term_group.
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks.
> K.
>
> [1] http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/get_terms
Quoting Otto [1] :

"From the interface side of things, it's not used for anything at all.

However, internally, it's possible to create terms that are aliases of
other terms. These terms will then be in the same term group, showing
that they're really the same term.

There is no real use for it at this point. It's there for potential
future functionality and for plugins.

If you are a plugin programmer and know how WP works, then you can add
an alias_of parameter to the call to wp_insert_term(). The alias_of
specifies the slug of the term that the new term you're inserting will
be an alias of (and so which will share a term_group). Same parameter
works on wp_update_term() too."

[1] http://wordpress.org/support/topic/term-group-column

See also this archived thread on wp-hackers:

http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2007-October/015734.html

Hope that helps.

- Jackson