[wp-hackers] What's the best solution to develop a website in sandbox?

Adriaan Pelzer adriaan at wewillraakyou.com
Sat Jul 16 15:32:55 UTC 2011

This is extremely annoying, yes.

I often (when it's feasible) start the staging & production installations
from fresh, install all the plugins & themes (where all the custom code
should be), and import the posts from the wordpress back end. There are
still issues to be fixed, but I've found this to be a bit less painful.

Another thing - in stead of dropbox/svn/cvs I use git. I create a repository
on each server (keeping deployment accessible to only one admin - access is
via public keys). I then create custom post-receive hooks that copie
everything checked into each repository into the proper folders. On each dev
machine a "remote" section is created for each server.

Managing these is then a question of git push dev; git push stage or git
push live (if I have access to live)

Adriaan Pelzer

putting you in touch with your crowds
http://www.wewillraakyou.com