[wp-hackers] Term Meta - Trac'd already?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Jul 14 03:42:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
> wrote:

> Again, we'll have to disagree. Not in the fine terms of "is creating a post
> complex?" but instead related to the approach you propose being an
> architecture best practice; I think it is not.

Meh. I couldn't say for sure what "best practice" is in this case. I know
how I'd do it. It'd work. It'd scale. It'd get the job done for at least 5
years, which is all my timeline really is anymore. Modern code doesn't need
to last longer than that. We're not writing in C and expecting things to
remain constant for 30 years here.

Doing it the way you state it is still complex data that needs to be
> maintained in sync and retrieved from the database, and doing it as you
> propose is still more complex than a taxonomy meta would be, no matter how
> you slice it.

Depends on how you define "complex". My queries would be simpler mainly
because I wouldn't write a single query. I'd use existing core functions
throughout.

> I thought WordPress tackled the 80% use-case in WordPress and left the 20%
> use-case to plugins?  Are you saying that more than 20% of WordPress sites
> need to scale like Facebook, Twitter and Google?  I'm sure that's not what
> you meant.

If you want to look at it from that angle, then roughly 48% of all WordPress
sites scale like that. Don't forget wp.com and it's 26 million sites. 7% of
the web is a big chunk of change. :)

-Otto