[wp-hackers] site sections, distinct theme per section

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Jul 8 13:07:46 UTC 2011

Not all that difficult, really.

Let's say each "wing" of an organization's site is a separate Page
hierarchy. You have several options:

1) Create separate custom Page templates for each "wing" (Page hierarchy).
2) Programmatically modify the default Page template content/markup, based
on Page hierarchy (i.e. Parent Page ID), a few different ways:
    1) Hard-code directly in page.php
    2) Call different headers, via get_header( '{page}' ), where {page} is
the "wing"/context/whatever
    3) Call different content, via get_template_part( '{page}' )

The main conditionals you would need are is_page( $page ), and a custom
conditional to determine the top-level parent Page.

Chip