[wp-hackers] WordPress Front-End tinyMCE

Scott Kingsley Clark scott at skcdev.com
Thu Jul 7 16:50:16 UTC 2011

> 1.) I think your example code is wrong

That's right, I posted a correction via reply, not sure if it arrived.
Will correct again, but that's right I was missing the $settings var
before the $media_bar var I was using.

> 2.) Any reason the $media_buttons is a forth parameter and not just something to pass in via the 3rd $settings parameter?

Andrew Ozz put this together, you'd better ask him.

> 3.) Why name it wp_editor? Isn't it best practice to let WordPress itself reserve names prefixed with 'wp_'? I see that it was written for WP3.3 (or a future version); is it actually going into WP3.3 as is, or wouldn't it be better to call it pods_editor?

Andrew Ozz put this together, you'd better ask him. The plan is to get
this into WP core for 3.3 or 3.4.

> 4.) I notice on line 26 the PODS_URL constant is hard-coded. Since it's named wp_editor that seems like it's intended to be a (semi-)defacto standard extension?  Wouldn't it be better to have that default to (something like) dirname(__FILE__) and/or get_option('wp_editor_path')?

I linked to our usage of his work, I'm sure he can provide his plugin
to anyone who asks, he might even post it to wp.org

> 5.) Clearly it is GPL licensed, right?  If I wanted to take it, make these mods and then include in my own plugin what would I need to do be follow the GPL license? (Sorry, if this last question is a bit off topic.)

GPL yep

Andrew Ozz is the lead dev for TinyMCE stuff on WP core, so he's THE
man and has done an awesome job with this work.

-Scott