[wp-hackers] Plugins using post types with localization

Heiko Rabe heiko.rabe at code-styling.de
Mon Jul 4 05:41:22 UTC 2011

	function PETPostType() {
		$this->labels = array(
		'name' => __('Pets','ADA'),
		'singular_name' => _x('Pet', 'post type singular name',
'ADA'),
		'add_new' => __('Add Pet','ADA'),
		'add_new_item' => __('Add Pet','ADA'),
		'edit_item' => __('Edit Pet','ADA'),
		'new_item' => __('New Pet','ADA'),
		'view_item' => __('View Pets','ADA'),
		'search_items' => __('Search Pets','ADA'),
		'not_found' =>  __('Not Found!','ADA'),
		'not_found_in_trash' => __('Nothing found in Trash','ADA'),
		'parent_item_colon' => ''
		);

add_action( 'init', 'adafunc_setup' );

function adafunc_setup(){
load_plugin_textdomain('ADA', null, dirname( plugin_basename( __FILE__ ) ) .
'/lang' );
}

You are loading your translation at the init hook processing but your
constructor for PETPostType executes before loading your translation file
inside the plugin class constructor. So any translation stands at english
while translation is missing.

You have 2 options:
	a) load your translation directly in front of your constructor
executions. (not recommended)
	b) hook into init hook execution, load the textdomain and 2nd define
now the posttype objects.

regards