[wp-hackers] Plugins using post types with localization

José Fontainhas jfontainhas at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 22:28:06 UTC 2011

Not sure I get the question fully, or if it should be discussed on the
polyglot's blog[1], but the way bbPress (plugin) does it is the way
any well behaved plugin should, i.e. it loads a language file for its
own textdomain[2], uses internationalized strings with that
textdomain[3], which can be translated from a .pot file, specific to
that plugin.

If, on the other hand, those custom post types are being defined by a
theme's functions.php file, the process is only different in that the
file should load the textdomain for the *theme* [4], and said theme
should have its own .pot file.

In short, individual custom post types are not a part of core and
hence those strings do not exist on core's .pot files

-- Zé

[1] http://wppolyglots.wordpress.com
[2] http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/load_plugin_textdomain
[3] http://codex.wordpress.org/I18n_for_WordPress_Developers#Translatable_strings