[wp-hackers] Creating Custom Taxonomies on the fly

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Sat Jan 29 23:43:23 UTC 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:33:50 +1100, Haluk Karamete
<halukkaramete at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you see some value in this approach? Or are there easier/smarter
> ways to address the problem I'm trying to solve with less hassle?

How many posts are we talking here?

Whilst your proposed selection would work, it does sound like a lot of
processing to ensure that the terms are kept in sync..

My method would be:
Generate tag cloud
  - Are we on a category view?
   - No: Generate as normal
   - Yes: Filter the terms:
    - We want Tags which are attached to <list of posts in category>

You'd have to add some caching to that, and theres a good chance you'd
have to filter some SQL there for best performance.
I've done something similar (intersections of terms) for navigational
elements of a custom taxonomy, ie. Site has multiple sections, and a set
of navigational elements to drill down, In the drill down, you only want
elements selectable which the section of the site has available

Dion Hulse / dd32
Contact:
  e: contact at dd32.id.au
  Web: http://dd32.id.au/