[wp-hackers] Question about WP on load balanced cluster

Potkanski, Jason jpotkanski at tribune.com
Fri Jan 28 17:41:26 UTC 2011

The significant advantage of Wordpress is its ability to scale horizontally. As traffic goes up, I can just provision more web servers and go.

Implementing sessions requires one to either attach NFS, use one of the new php memcache or mysql session handlers or write our own implementation. In other words, the web server can't be "dumb" anymore, they have to be "smart." That introduces more potential points of failure and more complexity when trying to triage a performance problem in a production environment.

http://www.tuxradar.com/practicalphp/10/1/3