[wp-hackers] get_editable_user_ids

Scott Bressler sbressler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 08:27:46 UTC 2011

Clearly spoke too soon -- the method was merely deprecated. However, in a
manner of speaking, the form of deprecating methods in WordPress could
indeed be considered breaking backward-compatibility, as methods are moved
from one file to another. It so happened that the part of my plugin that
used that method was only called via AJAX and only pulled in
wp-admin/includes/user.php. Since the method in question is no longer in
that file, my plugin broke. It might be worth rethinking the approach to
deprecating methods: as can be seen in this instance, I would argue that
moving methods around is an API-breaking change. While it keeps the
currently un-deprecated methods all together neatly, it can break plugins
that I think are executing perfectly valid code (only including what's
necessary).

Now more important is that I get my plugin working again. I could obviously
take the easy approach and just include the deprecated file, but I'd rather
migrate to get_users like a good programmer. So now my question is: what
parameters ought I pass to that function to make it behave like
get_editable_user_ids used to?

Thanks,
Scott