[wp-hackers] WP 3.1 admin bar

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Thu Feb 17 18:03:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Mark E <mark at simplercomputing.net> wrote:
>> In the devs read this list, having the admin bar on by default might result
>> in a megaton of phone calls to Web devs whose customers will invariable ask
>> what it is, why it's on their site and do their visitors see it too, and how
>> to turn off.
This is true of any new feature or design change. The whole point of
someone hiring a consultant or firm to help them with their WordPress
site is to have the comfort of there being someone to hold their hand
when things change. The same argument was had here when we redesigned
the admin in 2.7.

"Oh, no, my clients won't know what to do now!"
"If that's the case, then do your job and help them!"

  Anyone with WP site clients is providing the service of getting them
through version/feature/workflow transitions easily. If you have a lot
of clients, then yes, answering the same question over and over would
probably drive you mad. This is simple enough to prevent. Write up a
guide to new features for 3.1 (there are plenty on the web you can use
as reference) and send it to all your clients. Or, answer the phone
calls and bill them for your time.

Jane