[wp-hackers] WP 3.1 admin bar

Mark E mark at simplercomputing.net
Thu Feb 17 16:19:04 UTC 2011

On 02/17/2011 06:37 AM, Travis Northcutt wrote:
> Couldn't you simply send a preemptive email to all of your clients, letting
> them know what it is, not to be scared, what the benefits are, how to turn
> it off, etc.? It's a little late (way too late) in the release cycle to be
> asking for changes.

No. I can't do that for everyone. After 7+ years of rolling out WP sites
I do not have a complete list of contact information for everyone that
is likely to call me anymore because that sort of data invariably
changes. And of course I'm not alone, that holds true for other many
other devs as well.

As for release cycles, it's never to early to think of the implications
when writing code.

Seems to me that the people who develop new features for WP ought to be
able to place themselves into broader abstract scenarios and then
extrapolate what the best course of action would be, given the potential
impact of a new feature. Apparently that didn't happen in this case. Or
hasn't yet anyway.

That feature can be changed to 'off by default' and a simple one-time
admin message can added in about 15 minutes flat. That simple act would
save countless hours of time for everyone else.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm having nightmarish flashbacks to my days as
a Microsoft Windows network engineer. In case that doesn't make sense as
is, I will clarify: MS is notorious for doing what they want to do
without fully taking into consideration the vast implications of such
new features. Invariably their new features create situations that
result in the severe overload of help desks around the world, which of
course equates to time and money - e.g. loss of revenue.

Mark