[wp-hackers] Overriding the Link button in the Editor?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Feb 9 20:05:01 UTC 2011

Note: code examples are taken from the WP-Bitly
Plugin<http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-bitly>
.

It's actually pretty straight-forward; you merely need to hook your own
shortlink into the get_shortlink filter:

add_filter( 'get_shortlink', 'wpbitly_get_shortlink', 10, 3 );

Then, you merely need to define your own shortlink. (Reference the WP-Bitly
Plugin to see how we did it.)

Note, you need to unhook the wp.me shortlink provided by the WordPress.com
Stats Plugin, if active:

remove_action( 'wp',      'wpme_shortlink_header' );
remove_action( 'wp_head', 'wpme_shortlink_wp_head' );

It's actually pretty easy. If you want a lighter code example, Yoast has
also released a bit.ly Plugin that filters the shortlink button.

Chip