[wp-hackers] [WordPress Trac] #19695: Links widget does not generate width or height attributes when showing an image

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Fri Dec 30 17:33:21 UTC 2011

GD isn't a requirement, but this is the same way we handle it elsewhere.
 And, coming from having accidentally installed PHP at least once *without* GD,
I can tell you that having notices like this in there is a lifesaver.  It
took me about 2 weeks to figure out why thumbnails weren't being
auto-generated.

I mirrored my patch after the other patterns we follow when using
{{{getimagesize()}}} in core for consistency.  If one of the core leads
wants to step in with an opinion, I'd be fine going either way, really.