[wp-hackers] APC-Nginx-Apache problems / memory problems on VPS

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Sat Aug 27 12:42:47 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM, William P. Davis <will.davis at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ian,
> The place I would definitely start is finding where the bottlenecks are in
> your code so you can see where you need to improve performance.
>
> What's the theme you're running? (It doesn't matter if it's from a
> reputable company, it might still not scale.) How many and what plugins are
> you running? How many users do you have? How many posts do you have? How
> many pages do you have?
>
> Your best hosting solution depends enormously on all these things and more.
> Run SHOW FULL PROCESSLIST; on your mysql db to see if there are queries that
> are hanging up.
>
> My point here is that the hosting you outlined sounds more than adequate,
> so you probably just need to tweak things.

I would also turn on mysql's slow-query log to see if there are any crazy
queries going on. In fact, log all queries. The fact that the original
problem involved database connection issues hints at a mysql angle. A few
bad queries can tank a server.

4,000 pages a day, is just not that much.
Then also look at server memory usage.

--
Hal