[wp-hackers] Enhanced E-Mails needs testing

Aaron D. Campbell aaron at xavisys.com
Mon Aug 22 16:28:57 UTC 2011

On 8/21/2011 2:55 PM, John Blackbourn wrote:
> 1. I noticed in the changelog for 0.2 one of the changes was "Removed
> output buffering". I presume the first version of the plugin used
> regular templates for the messages which were captured by an output
> buffer. The current templates are much less user friendly as they have
> to return the template in a string rather than just outputting markup.

That was done at Westi's request:
http://gsoc2011.wordpress.com/2011/07/11/enhanced-emails-early-alpha-release/#comment-412

> 2. The documentation should mention what the templates need to be
> named for each of the various email notifications used in WordPress (I
> had to look at the source of each of the functions in the plugin's
> pluggable.php to find out).

We will definitely need more documentation.  This will need to be both
inline as well as in the codex since this is going into core.

> 3. The template hierarchy appears to search for templates in this
> order (using 'email-newuser-admin' as an example):
>
>   * email-newuser-admin.php
>   * email-newuser.php
>   * email.php
>
> It would be good if it also searched for email-admin.php before
> searching for email.php, thus allowing a theme to simply define two
> generic templates, email-user.php and email-admin.php (which may well
> be styled completely differently as one is intended for admins and one
> for users). Thoughts?
>
> John
Personally I think it makes more sense to work as similarly to
get_template_part() and therefore locate_template() as possible.  I'd
actually like to see it USE locate_template() but then it would need to
be converted to find files outside the theme directories.  Still, it
might make sense to make that possible (with proper checks).