[wp-hackers] Best practice for replacing a plugin in the repo with a new one

Alex Hempton-Smith hempsworth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 11:46:48 UTC 2011

I have a plugin in the WP repository (BuddyPress Like) which I haven't
updated in quite some time. I'm working on a new plugin that will replicate
all of the functionality of BP Like, but will not be BuddyPress specific.
There will be an importer so all BP Like data will move into the new plugin
seamlessly.

What is the best practice for effectively depreciating an old plugin and
direct users to a new one?

Ideally I could rename BP Like in the repository, and just have the new
version replace the old one... but renaming isn't possible?

- - - -
Kind regards,
Alex Hempton-Smith

www.alexhemptonsmith.com