[wp-hackers] Re-Selling (your) free plugins

Braydon ronin at braydon.com
Mon Aug 1 22:13:08 UTC 2011

On 08/01/2011 02:50 PM, Glenn Pegden wrote:
> (...)
> Without getting my old soap box back out, the real problem of course is that
> as Automattic won't consider plugins to be none-derivative, it means people
> aren't free to release their plugins under a license that allows them to be
> freely distributed but not for profit.
>
> Glenn
I've downloaded plug-ins with obfuscated PHP, plugin ended up being
pointless, even after running a formatter on it (doesn't take long).
I've also have seen jobs posted of people trying to make non-free or
obfuscated plugins, and it just sounds like a bunch of confusion on
their part.

For those interested in non-free or obfuscated plugins: Privacy is cool,
proprietary is uncool: Just don't share a plugin to the whole Internet,
and keep it private until it's actually been proven to be useful. There
are so many WordPress plugins, and so many of them pretty sloppy. There
really isn't a need for obfuscated or proprietary plug-ins, as would be
more possible with BSD licensed software....