[wp-hackers] Multisite Remote Database

Andy Charrington andycharrington at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 18:58:00 UTC 2011

Hello everyone.

I am trying to set up a test environment for a multisite install and figured
that the most realistic tests would be when done with actual data from from
the target site. So... I had an exsisting multisite install over at
hostgator and i edited wp-config.php to read -

// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define('DB_NAME', '*****');

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', '*****'');

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', '*****'');

/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', '***.***.***.**:3306');

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');

I then added the ip of the hostgator account to the access list on the
server i want the data pulled from (a VPS at wiredtree).

I struggled for a while to get it to even connect before realising port 3306
needed to be open....

However once that was fixed i then just got an infinite loop whenever i
tried to access the test site (which is connecting to the live database).

I must be doing something wrong...

I am struggling to see how it would work anyway TBH...

Would somebody mind explaining and/or pointing me in the right direction??

Thanks a lot

Andy

ps. Whilst tinkering i found this in my .htaccess for the live site-

# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>
AuthName *****
AuthUserFile /home/*****/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
AuthGroupFile /home/*****/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp

Dont remember putting that there....

pps. The clever poeple at hostgator (who took over 2 hours on CHAT to even
understand my issue) deleted the .htaccess file on the test site and
replaced it with a new .htaccess with only this in it-

RewriteEngine Off

ppps. Am i even going down the right path with wanting to have a test and
live environment? I dont want the constant hassle of finding and replacing
in sql exports....

--
Jealous Designs
Website:  <http://jealousdesigns.co.uk/>jealousdesigns.co.uk

Web design | Web development | WordPress | Flash | Posters, business cards
and flyers | Bespoke online tools | PHP | MySQL | (X)HTML | CSS | Javascript