[wp-hackers] Wordpress set_transient function hampring my server preformance

John Blackbourn johnbillion+wp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 23:09:38 UTC 2011

On 8 April 2011 12:29, Suhas Girgaonkar <suhas.girgaonkar at rtcamp.com> wrote:
> I am storing site visitor history using wordpress builtin function
> set_transient.
> But this causing overhead on my wordpress database and eventually it's
> hampring my server performance can any one help me?

Transients are stored in the database by default, so if you're doing
something like saving a transient on every page load then that equals
a database write for every visitor on every page.

You could install Xcache on your server and then install an Xcache
plugin for WordPress. WordPress will then automatically store
transient data in Xcache rather than the database. Same goes for
Memcache, I'm sure there are plugins for that too.

John