[wp-hackers] Image Upload Resizing in WordPress 3.0

David Morris dvmorris at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 20:23:25 UTC 2010

I see now. That makes sense. The sticking point with one of the people on my
team is that the Scissors plugin would not allow a blogger to EVER use the
full size image in a post by accident, and WP 3.0 does.

We are running ~500 blogs, and I guess they don't trust the bloggers to
insert the proper image size into their posts, and in 2.9.1 scissors
prevented that from happening.

Thanks so much for your reply,

Dave

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> WP resizes images to three different sizes on upload. The thumbnail,
> the medium, and the large sizes. The original is also kept around as
> well. All three sizes can be specified on the Settings->Media screen.
>
> Also, themes and plugins can define custom image sizes with the
> add_image_size() function, for specialized uses in the theme. This is
> often used for featured images or similar type functionality. I use it
> sometimes when defining sizes for thumbnail images to use on
> next/previous images in galleries.
>
> For a max image size, the theme is able to define it's own
> "content_width" size, which will make the image post-insertion
> mechanism create appropriate width and height tags to scale down the
> closest full sized image to the width of the available display area in
> the theme. Themes can do this by simply defining $content_width in the
> functions.php file.
>
> Additionally, images of arbitrary size can be created using the image
> editing features, after uploading images.
>
> Long story short, there's a whole heck of a lot of image resizing
> functionality available to themes and plugins, it's just a matter of
> setting it up properly.
>
> -Otto
>

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:46 PM, David Morris <dvmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to track down a piece of functionality that existed in the
> > Scissors plugin that automatically resized photos to a specified maximum
> > width/height upon uploading them to WP.
> >
> > I noticed that scissors was decommissioned and integrated into WP 3.0.
> > However, the feature that automatically resizes images on upload seems to
> > have been lost. Is this true, or am I just unable to find it in the WP
> > interface?
> >
> > If it is not core WP functionality, is there a recommended 3.0 plugin to
> > enable this behavior?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > --
> > Dave Morris