[wp-hackers] Plans to modify /wp-admin/plugins.php for 3.1?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Sep 11 10:01:23 UTC 2010

On Sep 11, 2010, at 4:55 AM, Andrew Nacin wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Mike Schinkel
> <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:
>
>> Thus we have at least 7 places to update and those are just the ones that I
>> noticed via a quick scan; there are more places than that which could use
>> some love.  Yes I was able to get the plugin working but I couldn't get all
>> the links at the top to display without duplicating a bunch of code from
>> core (which I already had to do a bit of.) End users would see this and
>> certainly get confused.  So the shortcoming of those 7 areas it hard to
>> extend the plugin page in a reliable and usable way.
>
> I tried to implement the must-use and drop-in panels first as a plugin, and
> stumbled across the exact same shortcomings.
>
> I'm not entirely sold on the need for plugins to modify that page, though
> that said your use case is an excellent reason why they should be able to.

Whew! I got one right this time. :-)

> I would welcome a ticket for this, tackling this slowly, one step/patch at a
> time.

I had planned to over the next month but didn't want to if you were going to revamp it for same or different reasons. If it's going to be stable I can.  My reason for detailing on the list tonight was that scribu implied there was some urgency to make the issues known.

> One, three, and four can probably be rolled into a single whitelist +
> filter.

What's a "whitelist" filter?  (I've had 7 hours sleep in 48, so I'm a little slow right now...)

Anyway, yes 1, 3 & 4 are similar.

> Restructuring that as an array would also allow us to avoid using
> variable-based variable names, which is ugly.

Agreed on the ugly part!

> Two is a simple action; it can

> probably be rolled into the same whitelist with some variable hook names.

Yep and sounds good (I assume.)

> A note, the bulk actions on all screens are filterable in 3.1. Some of the
> other stuff (like 5 and 7) may be taken care of as well due to the
> list-tables work, so I'd check.

If you can give me a bit more direction and the neccessary timetable, I'll add a ticket and handle this too work for you.  But again, I don't want to do stuff that conflicts with existing planned work.

-Mike