[wp-hackers] Site Address during development

Bjorn Wijers burobjorn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 11:23:09 UTC 2010

I support Gavin's proposal of changing WordPress from using absolute to
relative urls in it's database wholeheartedly. I'm willing to help out
with patches and testing if someone with commit ability is willing to
back us up.

I'm pretty certain we can fix this in such a way that content still is
addressable by one url (as explained by Otto) by making use of the
already existing WP_SITEURL and WP_HOME constants.

Instead of writing the absolute url to the database we can assemble the
absolute url on-the-fly and thus make sure all content will have an
absolute url (for feeds and other purposes).

It seems so easy and I'm probably not the first proposing this. So why
hasn't this been done yet? Am I missing something?

If so please enlighten me :)

grtz
BjornW