[wp-hackers] Site Address during development

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Sep 2 14:30:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Alex Hempton-Smith <hempsworth at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is always an ongoing issue for me. Any tips would be great!

One easy way that we use: Don't use development URLs, use the real
URLs. Just repoint them to your development server.

Edit your hosts file, and add a line like this:
127.0.0.1 example.com

Then set up WordPress on your local machine using the example.com URL.

When you're ready to move it to the live server, delete the line from
the hosts file and just move the whole thing over. All the URLs will
still say example.com in them, it's just not pointing to your local
machine any more.

-Otto