[wp-hackers] "The Matrix Has You" easter egg

Davit Barbakadze jayarjo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 17:21:27 UTC 2010

Right, sorry for vague statement. I was meaning posts created in 2010.
Several days ago he logged into the backend and discovered that it is
showing only 2009 posts. The interesting thing was that client-side of
the blog was still showing 2010 ones beautifully. For some time we
looked at it together. But then he tried to upgrade. And then they
disappeared even form the front-end. He was quite frightened, so I
recommended to degrade back, but despite of me telling him to backup
everything, and backup it twice, and then backup again, just overwrote
the whole thing...

So... easter eggs... or no, but illogical behavior on WordPress side
may easily bring non-techy users to a catastrophe.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Moya, Eddie <emoya at tribune.com> wrote:
> What do you mean "2010 posts"? Posts published in 2010, post with the id number "2010", etc?
>
> If missing posts were the result of an easter egg... I wouldn't even know what to say about that. So, I'm assuming whatever your experiencing is not an easter egg.
>

> On 10/27/10 12:18 AM, "Davit Barbakadze" <jayarjo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Woa, I didn't know there were any eggs in WordPress... Is there an egg
> that doesn't show 2010 posts in the admin? 'cause that what happened
> to my client :D
>
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Moya, Eddie <emoya at tribune.com> wrote:
>> On 10/24/10 4:24 PM, "Eric Mann" <eric at eam.me> wrote:
>>
>> For the sake of argument, why don't we come up with a list of these
>> "additional" features that developers might need to turn off for clients,
>> bundle the code into a drop-in (as opposed to a plug-in), and allow
>>         developers who need it to just deploy it on their sites?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I just added your code to a plugin I had already written to remove the capital_P_dangit egg. I renamed the plugin "Disable All Easter Eggs". That said, I don't know of any other relevant  easter eggs than the two I just mentioned. A quick google search did not turn up any more eggs that seem to be up-to-date.
>>
>> If anyone knows of ANY others than the two I just mentioned, please bring it up here so we can figure out a way to turn them off via a plugin.
>>
>> There needs to be a simple way for people who don't know what a hook is, how to write javascript, can turn these off. Maybe if I care enough, at some point it could have a little interface so you can chose which ones to turn on or off - but for now, they will all get turned off. But if I don't get any feedback, 'All' will constitute just these two.
>>
>> This is the very least we can do, and possibly the only thing that can be done.
>>

>> --
>> Eddie Moya
>> Applications Developer
>> Tribune Technology