[wp-hackers] Editing the Posts List view for Custom Post Types

Paul Clark wp-hackers at pdclark.com
Fri Oct 1 04:08:43 UTC 2010

Hi Simon,

I recently did this for a client. You can view the code here:
http://wordpress.pastebin.com/WZyDpqjA
and a screenshot here:
http://pdclark.com/wp-hackers/custom-taxonomy-columns.jpg

In this case, the client was a horse sanctuary. So, the custom post type,
"resident" is horses. Taxonomies were Adoption Status, Breed, Color, etc.
Clicking the taxonomy term names will filter the listing to posts in that
taxonomy.

I based that code off of this example, which uses the same method to display
Post thumbnails in a column:
http://wpengineer.com/1960/display-post-thumbnail-post-page-overview/

I also contracted Kawauso to make a plugin last week that would list any
custom field value in a column for any post type, and allow that value to be
edited via AJAX just clicking on it. He did a really great job. It's
excellent for things like editing All in One SEO Pack values very, very
quickly. It is enabled for different post types and meta fields through a
filter.

I haven't released that plugin outside client sites, but you can download it
here: http://pdclark.com/wp-hackers/meta-columns.zip

And you can see a screenshot here:
http://pdclark.com/wp-hackers/meta-columns-screenshot.jpg

A usage example is included in readme.txt and in meta-columns.php.

Paul Clark