[wp-hackers] WP Development & Production Sites

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Sun Nov 28 17:59:44 UTC 2010

On 28 Nov 2010, at 17:34, Vid Luther wrote:

> I'm sorry, so what's the URL supposed to be in development, staging, and production? and how are clients who don't know how to right click, supposed to get to the staging url?
>
> I agree this has been discussed to death on this list, but the lack of an official "this is how we recommend you go from dev -> stage -> prod" page, keeps getting people confused and making their own home grown solutions.

It's really simple.

You can either teach them how to point urls at different servers - which isn't that hard.

Or.

Add output buffering and rewriting to dev/staging to rewrite the urls and make dev/staging believe they live at the real address for the purposes of url insertion.

The database can always reflect the real site address for even when in dev/staging however it is accessed.

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5