[wp-hackers] WP Development & Production Sites

Andrew Gray andrew at graymerica.com
Sat Nov 27 13:10:04 UTC 2010

> I don't really get the ERS argument.  Would it be so bad to have wp prepend
> the siteurl constant before the path from the database.
>

> ------------------------------

I agree,  All I would really like is one filter that is called everytime any call to the DB that returns a string with the site URL is called.

If people are worried about site performance in their feeds, they can ignore the action, but it would make my life 100% easier.

We can not explain to our customers how to change their host file and have many sites that are constantly being developed and have a production, staging and multiple development versions.
Even better would be to allow for two paths.  One for static items, (JS,CSS,IMGs) etc, and one for .php files.   This would make the use of a CDN much easier.
Let us hard code them into our config files, so that the same config file can be used for each site and every plugin maker can use these paths for their plugins.

Currently, I am having to rewrite the majority of plugins used on my big sites to force them to load their images and JS from my CDN.  The various plugins for this task are either too resource intensive or have to manually configured for each file.

By default the static and active file URL can be the same, but for those that need it, this would be a huge improvement.

I have looked for a filter that I can reliably call, but could not find one.

thanks,

Andrew