[wp-hackers] WP Development & Production Sites

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Fri Nov 26 19:35:15 UTC 2010

In my experience, no plugin provides enough settings to warrant simply
redoing the changes on the other site. Most of what is described appears to
take longer than simply manually entering in the settings onto the live
site. So much so, that I've never even thought, "You know I spend so much
time configuring plugins that it would be great if I could automatically do
so." If I did, then I would have already developed something that did just
that. However, it would have probably taken far longer than all of the time
I spent manually entering the settings.

It appeared from the initial replies that people wanted to write posts on
their local and have them show up on their production as well. There are
several problems with this. If the version is different, then there will be
scheme differences which might prevent some queries from executing or some
connections not forming correctly. If both versions are the same, then
setting the database to that of the live and then setting the wp-config.php
constants WP_SITEURL and WP_HOME to the localhost would allow for exactly
that.

I probably didn't say so, but it is true that the "right" way to do
something and the quickest, easiest, and laziest way to do something is
rarely the same. There are probably also a 100 different ways to implement
this as well. I was simply pointing out that the best method would be that
were you keep both development and production completely separate to
minimize completely the chance of headache.