[wp-hackers] WP 3.1 beta Make Internal Linking feature available in HTML mode too

jhay at jrocas.com.ph jhay at jrocas.com.ph
Sat Nov 20 14:06:16 UTC 2010

Points are well taken. I'm not really after the handiness of WYSIWYG, but
rather the Internal Linking feature in the HTML editor.

I have a strong feeling a plugin will come up to do just that. :D

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:

> While I agree in principle with what you've said, I disagree with the
> implication that Internal Linking is a WYSIWYG feature. It's not. It's a
> content cross-referencing feature that is Visual/HTML-editor agnostic.
>
> So, I have to agree with the OP, that providing the Internal Linking
> feature
> in the HTML editor is appropriate (though, perhaps Plugin territory?).
>
> Chip
>
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Jane Wells <jane at automattic.com> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps you never noticed before, but the HTML editor never had the same
> > functionality as the Visual editor. The HTML editor uses the basic
> browser
> > dialog intentionally, as people using the HTML window have made a choice
> > write in code, not using a WYSIWYG. There are a number of handy features
> in
> > teh Visual editor to make composition easier, like the styles dropdown
> and
> > formatting options that are not built into the HTML editor, since that's
> > meant to be the DIY view.
> >
> > If we started putting all the RTE features into the HTML editor, there
> > would be a huge backlash. If you want the WYSIWYG features, then you
> might
> > as well just use the Visual editor, at least for now. Maybe someone will
> > write a plugin to do what you ask, though.
> >

> > On 11/20/10 12:38 AM, jhay at jrocas.com.ph wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I've just seen the announcement that WP 3.1 beta has hit WP.com users.
> >> Wohoo!
> >>
> >> The new feature I liked the most is Internal Linking.
> >>
> >> However, I feel it's unfair that such a feature is available only in
> Rich
> >> Text Editor mode, as those of us who use the HTML editor instead are the
> >> same WordPress users with the same needs of easily linking to past
> posts.
> >>
> >> Would it be possible to offer the same feature in HTML editor more? It
> >> could
> >> be as widget like the Post Tags widget in the Add New Post page. If it
> can
> >> offer a search of tags used in the blog, then a similar widget can also
> >> offer the same feature of searching for past posts based on keywords and
> >> then easily link to it with a click or two.
> >>
> >> What do you guys think?
> >>
> >> All the best,

Julius D. Rocas "jhay"
Blog: http://jrocas.com.ph <http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheFour-eyedJournal>|
My Google Profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/jhayrocas

This email is: [ ] bloggable / [ ] private / [X] (ask first)

*Contributor, http://globalvoicesonline.org/author/julius-rocas/ |
http://bloggerskapihan.com

"Ang nasyonalismo, ang pag-ibig sa sariling bayan, sa tinubuang lupa, ay
hindi kailanman lumilipas." -Wigberto Tañada

My Profiles:  <http://www.facebook.com/JuliusRocas?ref=profile>
<http://friendfeed.com/jrocas>
  <http://www.twitter.com/jhayrocas>

Contact me:  julius.rocas