[wp-hackers] How common are table changes for WP?

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Thu Nov 18 15:17:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Ryan Bilesky <rbilesky at gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason why I am asking is that I am writing an API to allow access to
> my
> wordpress posts.  To keep it lightweight I don't want to go load wordpress
> but rather just query the database directly.  The downside to this
> obviously
> I have to redo my queries if the wordpress table structure changes, hence
> the question how common are such changes.

In case you haven't considered it the obvious solution here is to use the
XML-RPC API in WordPress to access the posts. If you're trying to squeeze
out every last ounce of performance then running a XML-RPC library might be
just as resource-intensive as loading up WP, but it would be the most
schema-agnostic solution possible, since the XML-RPC API is less likely to
change than even the behavior of WP in relation to the posts table.

http://codex.wordpress.org/XML-RPC_Support

--
Jeremy Clarke
Code and Design | globalvoicesonline.org