[wp-hackers] Network activations and WP SlimStat

Dino Termini dino at duechiacchiere.it
Tue Nov 9 02:18:49 UTC 2010

> You have a point here, however I think you're thinking of an edge
> case. 1 million records of hits is too much to be storing in the first
> place.

Okay, maybe that was a little exaggerated, but even with 100,000
records, what's the difference bw 100 tables holding 100k records and
one storing 10M? It 'scales' just because it doesn't create new tables,
but other than that it's the same thing space-wise. Unless you core
developers are saying that adding new tables is deprecated and should
never be done.

>> that it's better to load a 3.5 Mb array into memory EVERY TIME the plugin
>> has to record a new hit, than querying the database to find the same
>> information, am I right?
> No, I'm saying that you don't need to record the country at all in the
> first place. You need to know the country at display time, not at raw
> data grabbing time. Raw data should be *raw*. Fast. Efficient for
> writing. Save the processing for later.

So you would do a JOIN bw two tables, one with 100k records and one with
150k, for EACH metric included in WP? Interesting...

> Nobody wants the raw data except for eggheads like you and me

Well, I would ask that to the 2,000+ users who are currently using my
plugin :-) Maybe it's not just you and me...

Dino.