[wp-hackers] Blackbird Pie: Twitter API functionality in Core?

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sat Nov 6 00:56:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Seeing the announcement of Blackbird Pie[1] makes me wonder if there will a
> near-term inclusion of low-level Twitter API functionality into WordPress
> core, or is this just a plugin feature to be used only on WordPress.com?
>
> I'm especially interested in this because my team is right now building a
> class to interface with the Twitter API to enable flexibility that is not in
> any of the plugins that I've seen (they all seem to implement functionality
> for the end-user, they don't really provide API functionality for the
> developer.)
>
> If such an API will be included with WordPress core I'd like to use it
> rather than duplicate its functionality. Basically what I want to know is:
> 1.) if it will be added to core, 2.) when it will be added to core, 3.) when
> I can get a look at the code and 4.) who I need to contact for that (Justin
> Shreve?)

I don't see this as core material either. I would not be surprised if it
gets a proper release as a plugin on wordpress.org. That said, the plugin is
probably quite trivial, to be honest, so it should be easy to re-create for
your specific needs. It's just a custom embed handler. I've pitched this
exact idea in a recent WordCamp talk on advanced APIs [1].

[1] http://andrewnacin.com/2010/09/11/wcma-resources/ (loosely, slides 22 to
37)