[wp-hackers] Status of mu-plugins

Brian Layman bulk at thecodecave.com
Fri Nov 5 15:01:07 UTC 2010

WOOT for a 100% on-topic question for the list..

 > The Multi-User plugins are now called Must-Use plugins
 > (great use of a backronym).

Oh that is is hilarious... My mind hadn't taken that final leap and
re-translated MU to Must Use.

To stray just a little but further the conversation... The way I use the
mu-plugins directory with most plugins is to have mini-plugin there that
is really just a list of includes and forced options for the plugins.

For example I will place the tweetmeme directory in mu-plugins an
activate it on all the mu blogs with this section in an
activate_mu_plugins.php file:

// Load tweetmeme and force the non-default options.
include( 'tweetmeme/tweetmeme.php' );
function _ehi_tm_where( $base ) {
     return 'manual';
}
add_filter( 'pre_option_tm_where', '_ehi_tm_where' );

That activates it and sets the options that I want.  my-hacks.php used
to serve this purpose, but now there's no need for a separate file.

-Brian Layman
eHermits, Inc.