[wp-hackers] WordPress "simple mode"

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed May 19 13:57:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Matthew Gerring <mgerring at emrl.com> wrote:
> This was mentioned by Otto on Matt Mullenweg's blog today. When I read the comment, I was right in the middle of coding up a dashboard widget to accomplish a lot of what he's talking about. I just want to see how much interest there is in this idea- I think there's a real need for it.
>
> "Perhaps WordPress should try to capture that market. Make a “simple mode” sort of thing. Eliminate a lot of the settings and such, or fold them down into hidden menus. Make the “new post” screen the main screen, dump the pages entirely, hide all the plugins. Might help for an intro sort of view."
>
> Thoughts?

Make it settable on a per-user level for the base case.

For the case where somebody wants other users to see this, make a new
capability called "simple-mode" or whatever, then let them use role
manager to assign that capability to roles he wants to be simple. The
capability should override the per-user setting (and hide the disable
link... admin probably doesn't want users to have a choice in this
case).

-Otto