[wp-hackers] User & author capabilities

Patrik Bóna patrik.bona at mrhead.sk
Tue May 18 10:15:16 UTC 2010

Hi Hackers,

I have few question regarding authors and their permissions.

I have web site with custom content types (for example picture) and
users can upload them directly from website (not from wp-admin) and even
if they have no permissions (lowest or none user role) they are authors
of uploaded pictures (posts).

Problem is when i want to edit such a post as admin. There is author box
but there are only editors and users with higher permissions. So if i
hit save in edit post page then user is changed... So temporary i've
removed this box from posts and custom content types.

Also i want sometime to change author of post to someone else but with
default author box i can not choose users with low user roles...

My question is what is best solution to solve this ? Should i write
custom meta box for authors with all users or is there any better way
how to do it ?

Also i have another question regarding preview of drafts. Currently only
authors and higher users roles can see previews of post. How can i
modify it so also subscribers can see preview of post (but not edit
them, just see preview) if i send them preview link ?

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards

Patrik