[wp-hackers] Twitter API and Authentication

Lew Ayotte - Full Throttle Development lew at fullthrottledevelopment.com
Tue May 11 14:11:33 UTC 2010

I think it would be much better if Twitter allowed users to generate a
simple API key (like Akismet) that users could use for any Twitter App
without requiring the user to submit a new app request.

Currently my application allows all authors to store their twitter
credentials in wordpress. Whenever a post is published it can tweet to all
the users (or just a single user) -- depending on how the admin has the
plugin setup. Requiring oAuth essentially kills my plugin. It will require
each user to create their own app in twitter. It may be easy for you and I
to do this, but I get tons of support requests from people who just didn't
type their user name in properly.

Further, it may be easy for me to create a portal that does the work for the
user, but not all plugin authors will have the resources to build such a
portal. And building a portal defeats the purpose of oAuth, they have to
pass their username/password to a third-party.

I'm not saying that the move to oAuth is bad, but I think it needs to be
implemented in a different way to support the developers who essentially
drive traffic to twitter.

Lew Ayotte
Full Throttle Development, LLC
706.363.0688