[wp-hackers] register_uninstall_hook VS uninstall.php

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sat May 8 02:41:22 UTC 2010

I think the confusion really just stems from the lack of defined purpose
of the uninstall process.

The uninstall process is to clean up data that would otherwise be left
behind when the plugin is deleted. I'm not sure it could be said any
more clearly than that.

>  There is always some code inside the plugin right? register_uninstall_hook
>  looks more convenient, 'cause for example I use variable in option and table
>  names, which depend on the classname of the plugin, or for example I want to
>  use variables form within my plugin to check some conditions before
>  uninstalling. And by the way can I use array($this, 'callback') type of
>  callback in register_uninstall_hook?

I was confused the first time I read this. I think I understand a bit
more. I your case, you should probably have a method in your class that
runs some uninstall processing for each of the classes that has options.
However, I will suggest that a better idea is to just, well I mean the
class names are known, so why not just reference the class names from
within the uninstall process for the options instead of the first
suggestion?

As for the second problem, while array($this, 'callback') won't work,
array('Class_Name', 'callback') will. You will just have to reference
everything in that code statically or as a function. So technically, you
can use a class method, but it will have to be static.

>  Hmmm... dont' you think that there is something wrong with this (current?)
>  solution?

Not at all, it is a very simplified solution for something that can be
extremely difficult to implement otherwise.

 > "The plugin should not run arbitrary code outside of functions"

If you are wondering whether the statement is saying that you should not
use classes when using the uninstall process then the answer is no. Let
me be more clear since it was answered in what might be a double
negative. You may use either classes or functions in your code and the
statement was in no way suggesting that you MUST use functions over
classes. It was an example and if I had to write functions or classes
everywhere I would probably kill myself with the strain of having to
figure that into the correct context of each sentence it applies. It is
simply best practice to not use a class static method for the uninstall
hook, since I mean, it would be basically a function that is namespaced
in a class instead of a real namespace.

I already stated what the arbitrary code means in the last email and
won't restate what is in there. If you must, please read what Dion wrote
again a second or third time and it should be more clear what is really
meant for those two words. I believe Dion was instrumental in the
creation of the initial patch and additional fixes that came after, so I
trust Dion would fully know and understand the purpose and discussion
that went into the patch and additional improvements / fixes. I'm simply
trying to confirm and attempt to further the understanding of what the
uninstall hook and file mean and their purpose.

I believe Nacin and Otto explained some of your problems and will
suggest reading those responses again if further confused. You should be
using the WordPress API and any attempt to bypass will simply fail. The
uninstall process checks for the file or the hook existence before it
will even attempt the uninstall process. If those do not exist, then it
simply will not run.

>  The only thing is that I need to know that uninstall is happening and not
>  just some regular load.

The reason the WP_UNINSTALL_PLUGIN constant is only available for the
file is that it is not needed for the function. The constant is for
security so that the uninstall process is not run by accident. You could
get around it by checking ABSPATH as well, but it is better to check for
the constant to be sure that the plugin is meant to be uninstalled. For
the hook, it is assumed that the plugin is meant to be uninstalled.

>  So far I've found only one way to do this - check for: $_POST['action'] ==
>  'delete-selected'&&    $_POST['verify-delete'] == 1&&
>  in_array(plugin_basename(__FILE__), (array)$_POST['check']).

Please refrain from over thinking the process. You appear to think that
you have to make it harder than it needs to be. If uninstall.php is
included, it will be in function / local scope and after checking for
the WP_UNINSTALL_PLUGIN constant you can assume that it is meant to
uninstall the plugin. If the hook is called, then you can assume that
the plugin is meant to be uninstalled. You do not need to do any more
checks to be sure that the code was meant to be uninstalled.

I do not think more focus needs to be paid for this topic, but I believe
it could be improved by adding additional information based on what was
discussed here to the codex page and to the inline documentation in
WordPress to prevent future confusion as this one. I did not think that
people wouldn't be able to comprehend what was stated in the comment and
I wanted to be as brief as possible to be sure that people read the
comment. It appears I was wrong in this instance and I'm sorry that you
were confused. I do not plan on implementing my suggestion, so I hope it
was fully explained to you.

Jacob Santos