[wp-hackers] GSoC 2010: Visual CSS Editor

Beau Lebens beau at dentedreality.com.au
Tue Mar 30 15:54:16 UTC 2010

Full disclosure: I was Daryl's mentor for GSoC last year, and reviewed
his proposal before he mailed it out to the group, but I'd like to add
a few comments anyway:

- This proposal has stemmed from Daryl's experience working on
Elastic, and realizing that a decent style editor is not only a big
part of a good visual theme editor, but entirely a project of it's own
- Splitting things up and making parts of the editor modular mean the
entire thing is potentially pluggable, a very cool feature (and very
"WordPressish")
- MikeS: saving to the DB by default definitely doesn't preclude from
saving out/exporting to file. There would need to be a way to get at
the CSS as raw CSS either way
- AndrewN: Absolutely, if the theme revisioning project happened this
summer, it'd be perfect to be able to just tie into whatever API that
provided and just trigger a new revision via this editor.
- There's a lot of tricky UI to be figured out here to avoid making
this just a blunt CSS tool (add selector, add attribute, select from
list, enter value, save). I think there's also some real potential for
concepts like palettes and presets and whatnot that could make this
really powerful, without being overly complex for the end user.

In summary, "I like it" :)

Cheers,
Beau