[wp-hackers] GSOC - widget repository

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Sun Mar 28 18:44:07 UTC 2010

> I have a few questions about this project:
> 1) Since this is something I found at
> http://codex.wordpress.org/GSoC2010#Widgets I'm assuming that this is
> something that is desired by the wordpress community. However when
> searching the mailing list archives I was unable to find specific
> details about how the widgets repository would differ from the plugins
> repository - if at all.
> I'm looking for any details that would help me complete my GSOC
> application
This idea arose at the lead developer summit that happened in December
2009 in Orlando. I think Matt Mullenweg was the one who suggested it.
Basically, the idea was that plugins that just add widgets create an
extra layer of code and administration that isn't really needed, and
makes the user experience less smooth. If we had a repository for
widgets, instead of going to the plugin repo and searching for widget
plugins, then installing the plugin, then activating it, then going to
manage the new widget, we could make widgets more autonomous by having
a widget repo. Developers would submit widget code, and when users
wanted a new widget, they would go straight to an 'add new widgets'
screen, select/install and immediately begin filling in the widget
settings.  Basically the idea reduces the overhead for users adding
new widgets.

Maybe Matt can chime in with what he was originally envisioning in
case I described it incorrectly.

> 2) The page where the project listed doesn't have any mentor listed.
> The page with the mentors doesn't have anyone specific for this
> project - who would be my mentor?
There are not mentors assigned to specific projects because mentors
will choose students from all the applications we receive, many of
which may not come from the list on the Codex Ideas page. Basically,
all mentors will review all applications, and will identify the
students/projects they are interested in mentoring. If there's someone
you're interested in working with, you should get in touch with that
person (the list of mentors is on our Ideas page) and start talking
about your project ideas so that when it comes time for them to review
all the applications, they'll have a better sense of who you are and
what you want to do.
Jane (GSoC administrator for WP)